Monday, March 3, 2008

8 weeks and counting down... My first big run

I had my first "long" run this past weekend. Our training plans call for moderate (30-60 min) runs throughout the week, with some cross-training and rest sprinkled in. Then, every Saturday, we meet at the UK Arboretum for a group "long run". We began at 2-3 miles and are supposed to increase one mile each week. Because I've been out of town for the previous 3 weekends, I had to do those runs on my own -- not nearly as motivating as running with a group. I ran/walked about 50 minutes by myself in San Francisco, then about 1 hour with a friend in Philly, then skipped last weekend's run when I was writing at a friend's cabin (I also had a cold). I've been good about working out during the week at the YMCA, but 've been dreading those weekend runs. So this past Saturday, I bit the bullet and joined the group for my first "long run" of my training. We ran a 6.4 mile route through the residential area near the arboretum, grateful for the cold but sunny morning.

And do you know -- I actually enjoyed it! One reason is because I'm just not that competitive, so I don't mind coming in last -- which I think I did! And I walk when I need to, which is quite often. And I don't mind having a very slow time -- about 1hr 33 minutes. The first mile was the toughest, as my body complained and resisted getting moving at 7:30am. But then I quit worrying about my time and just enjoyed the solitude. We ran past some pine trees, which smelled heavenly. We chatted and stretched during our water breaks, and I got to know 2 women who were sharing my slow pace. I finished the run very tired but with a renewed excitement about my decision to do this.

1 comment:

lara said...

yeah maria!! enjoy it. if you don't enjoy it, what's the point??