Wednesday, February 27, 2008

There's running, and then there's everything else

In thinking about training for this race, I've realized that there's more involved than just running. In order to actually complete the training runs, there are some things I've gotta do. Otherwise, I won't be able to get started or keep going. I've come up with a little motto that will hopefully help me stay motivated, called SASS, which stands for the following:


Stretch, stretch, stretch: If I don't stretch before, during, and after my runs, I'll be tight and discouraged. And more prone to injury. So if you want to, encourage me to do this every single day, whether or not I'm running, cross-training, or resting..

Asthma control: It doesn't matter if my legs aren't tired if my lungs are burning. I need to become more vigilant in using my Advair (daily inhaled steroid) and taking my rescue inhaler with me on runs. Oh, and I should stop sneaking that occasional cigarette with friends (shhh).

Stay hydrated: I'm very, very bad at drinking enough water. I like all kinds of caffienated beverages, which definitely work against you as you prepare your body to tax itself. And when I have been well-hydrated, I've felt its benefits in my workouts. So... here's my commitment to drink at least 2 quarts (8-8oz glasses) of water each day, and one more for each caffienated drink I consume. Yikes -- I'll be drowning

Sleep at least 8 hours: Again, how can I train well when my body has no reserves? Getting enough sleep will be helpful in all kinds of ways. I'll especially be enlisting Billy to hold me accountable here.

So... here's to the SASS I need to get me across the finish line!!!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Sleep for 8 hours ALL AT ONCE? Have you consulted Miranda about this? Neither of mine allow such indulgence.

And can you tone it down on the asthma thing? That's my excuse for not doing anything outside in the winter - especially running. :)

We finally donated on the website. Sorry it took so long - I was planning to write a check, but things got away from me. This dog's life is hard work. Ask Jeff and Ashley about my fight scene.

lara said...

don't give up maria!! i am so proud of you doing this!! i loved training with you.l if i were closer, we could do it every week.