Friday, April 25, 2008

This ain't my first rodeo...

...even though it is my first half-marathon. Back in 2002, having gained almost 40 pounds since graduating from college, I realized that I needed some sort of goal to get me in shape, and I decided to try a short triathlon. I picked what is called a "supersprint" triathlon, which is roughly half the distance of a sprint triathlon. It consisted of a 1/4 mile pool swim, a short (but very hilly) 6-mile bike, and a 1.8-mile run (whereas the sprint is 1/2 mile swim, 15-mile bike, 3.2-mile run.) I finished in 59 minutes and had a great time. Since then, I've completed 4 supersprint and 2 sprint triathlons, and can honestly say I've enjoyed every one (well, maybe not every minute of every one). I've also done a few 5K races, but have only once been able to run the entire race, no walking.

Anyway, here are a few pics from the sprint triathlon I did last August with my sister in Denver. We did the Tri for the Cure and had a great time. I had a picture of me crossing the finish line, but for some reason it looks like I have a huge gap in my front teeth!! No need to circulate that online.


That Denver altitude ain't no joke.




My finisher's medal, hung on my rearview mirror for inspiration.





No comments: