Friday, April 25, 2008

The F Word

Fundraising is very scary to me. When I signed up for this, I was less worried about the 13.1 miles than the $3000. I suppose one reason is because I have control over training for the run, but I don't have control over whether people donate to the cause.

I don't enjoy asking people for money (although Billy might say something to the contrary -- ha!). I've only had one job where I had to raise my own support -- I was an intern at a campus ministry -- and that was enough for me. Some people are just gifted at it, but it terrifies me. So it's been a definite challenge to ask my family and friends (as well as my plumber, home inspector, and friends of my parents) to support me in this cause. Admittedly, there is a certain distance in asking for money for an organization as important as the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, but it still makes me slightly nervous.

Well, I've bitten the bullet and asked, and people have been generous beyond my imagination. People have given from their abundance and from their scarcity, and I'm so very grateful for both. Thank you, thank you.

No comments: