Friday, February 8, 2008

Welcome to my Half-Marathon Blog!

I've started this blog to chronicle my journey to my first half-marathon, the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini-Marathon. Not only is it my first big race, but it's also my first attempt at fundraising for a cause. I'm not sure which task seems more daunting, running 13.1 miles or asking for money!

I'm running this Team In Training, which raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'll be posting pictures and updates about my training and my fundraising. Thanks for your interest -- and of course, thanks for your donations!!! Check the links on the side for updates on my progress in both. There's also a link where you can visit my official Team In Training website and donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Until I have some pics of current training, here's one from another race. This is a picture of me and my sister Ellery at the Denver Tri for the Cure. It was a "sprint triathlon", so we swam half a mile (in a lake -- much harder than the pool!), biked 12 miles, and ran 5K in the Colorado foothills. We raced together last August to raise money for breast cancer research. That is, we biked together, and she left my in the dust (and in the waves) during the run and the swim. That still counts as racing together, right? It was a "sprint triathlon", so we swam 0.5 mile (in a lake, which was much tougher than I expected), biked 12 miles, and ran a 5K. She finished in 1:51:26, and I finished in 2:03:32. It was a great milestone to achieve with my sister! Tell the truth -- is she the best looking mom of twins, or what?


4 comments:

Lazymom said...

You rock!!! Will be makin a donation as soon as things settle here. Still no baby.

IM so impressed that you are doing this. I will cheer you on from my loveseat as i disappear into a breastfeeding blackhole over the next few months.

lara said...

awesome!! I would love to run it with you if my stinkin foot didn't hurt so much, but I will be sending money!

maria said...

Lara -- rats! I was counting on you for a training run next weekend! Maybe you can loan me Oskar...

Joy, we will bring you food as soon as the little one shows up. No need to emerger from the blackhole, we'll teleport the food in to you.

Ellery V said...

Well aren't you the sweetest?!? And you TOTALLY left me in the dust during the bike! Good luck - i'm running with you in spirit (also much easier than going with you on the training runs!) YOU GO GIRL!