Monday, February 11, 2008

Training: 11 Weeks and Counting Down...

I had my second "long" run this weekend in San Francisco. Here's how the training goes: Each week you run 2-3 shorter runs, then have a longer run on the weekend. For a half-marathon, these long runs begin at 3-4 miles and step up to 10-12 miles by race day. Last week I ran (disclaimer: when I say "run", I usually mean a combination of jogging & walking, averaging 13-13.5 minute miles)... ok, last week I ran 3 miles in just under 40 minutes, which wasn't bad for 22 degree temps and just getting back into running.

So, on Sunday, I took off on a meandering run through the Mission district. I went down the street and found myself following another runner, who turned the corner and led me to a park where a soccer game was in full swing. I threw back a ball that had sailed into the street, circled the park twice (to a couple of "olas" and "hey babys"), then headed back down Petrero for a few laps in the sunny, breezy, 65 degree morning. My legs were tired and I walked a lot, but I was in motion for over 50 minutes. It felt great to persevere!

More updates later.

No comments: